Inspiring imagination and community is what we love to do!
Located in Roanoke's historic Grandin Village.

Games, games, games!



I love games!

From the moment I was given this opportunity to be Roanoke's newest toy lady I knew that I wanted games to be a big part of our little store.  Not only did I want to sell games but I wanted to provide a place for kids of all ages, families, and friends to come to play games of all types.  And that's what we've created!  We've cleared out the entry room of the store and turned it into our game and demo room.  There are shelves full of games for everyone to try out and I am always ready to show willing hands and minds how to play.  I also love helping folks figure out which games are a good match for each individual child.

So what is it with me and games?
  1. Games bring people together and encourages communication.  I myself like video games too but for the most part, video games don't involve a lot of one-on-one banter like board or card games do.  Learning how to communicate is crucial and from my experience, the talk that comes out of playing games can be pretty amusing, hilarious, and sometimes even insightful!   
  2. Continuing with that first point, you can learn a lot about a person when playing games with them!  As a parent I've been shocked at times by the skills my daughter possesses that I knew nothing about.  Playing Labyrinth I've learned she has very good spacial relationship skills and can think several steps ahead.  With Dixit, her favorite game, she constantly blows our mind with her poetic and clever choice of words.  
  3. It can be good for our children to see their parents lose or to not excel in certain areas.  I think my daughter used to take great pleasure in seeing me struggle while playing Labyrinth and I didn't mind that at all.  The pride she gets when she knows she's whooping me in a game lasts for hours and I figure that's just going right into her confidence bank account.  
  4. It's a great way to take up time that doesn't involve electronics.  If we find ourselves all sitting on the couch after dinner staring at our devices, we try to pull out a game instead and more often than not time ends up flying by instead of creeping along. 
  5. Cooperative games, games in which it's more the players against the game than players against one another, encourage not only communication but also problem-solving skills as a group.  They're great to play when a child is first learning about game playing but they can also be great for older kids too.
I'm sure there are a lot of other good benefits of playing games as well but there's a start to hopefully get some folks motivated to come to our store to give it a try!  So next time you're at home wondering what to do, hop in the car or walk on over and let's play!  



No comments:

Post a Comment